[Dovecot] mail_max_userip_connections

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 18:18:58 EET 2013

On 12 March 2013 16:59, Axel Luttgens <AxelLuttgens at swing.be> wrote:
> Le 12 mars 2013 à 16:21, Simon Brereton a écrit :
>
>> On 12 Mar 2013 15:31, "Axel Luttgens" wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> You could have a look at 'doveadm who' (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Who).
>>>

>> I really should get around to upgrading..
>
> :-)
>
> Now, there are still the more generic ways, yet probably requiring a bit more guesswork; for example, assuming binary lsof is available on your system:
>
>         sudo lsof -n -i :imap,pop3

Handy.  Thanks.  Of course it only works in the instant I get the
message (which isn't always apparent from the client).

> On the other hand, I don't remember exactly what happens when that mail_max_userip_connections limit is hit; doesn't Dovecot log some hint that would allow you to track the "culprit"?

Well, not that I could see - that's why I asked on the list :)  That's
not to say it isn't there, but all I see in the log is:
Mar 12 13:47:12 mail dovecot: imap-login: Maximum number of
connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections):
user=<simon at example.net>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, secured

I suppose this implies it's the webmail client., but even having that
open on two different machines shouldn't open 10 connections.  Should
it?

Simon