[Dovecot] Upgrading 1.2 to 2.x

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 6 23:53:21 EET 2013

Am 06.03.2013 22:42, schrieb Steve Litt:
> On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 08:27:51 +1000
> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

>>> Split configs are nicer and easier to work with and I am all for
>>> nicer and easier.
>>>
>>> Dem
>>

>> WTF?  Everything in one file is much nicer and easier, and you don't
>> have to guess what option is in what file
>
> Here's a question for both of you:
>
> 1) Is there any reason someone could not, after the fact, cut parts of
>    the main file and put that cut into conf.d?
> 2) Is there any reason someone could not, after the fact, cut parts out
>    of the conf.d files and paste them into the main files, perhaps
>    adding a comment as to where they were originally?
>
> If both of those are possible, although we could still argue which
> should be the default (and I strongly believe in one file), at least
> each of us can have our own way with a half hour of work.

conf.d files are easier if the config is really large
and for make it possible to add and remove pieces by
software managment tools

a monolithic config file is way better as long
it is not too big at all because depending on your
screen you can view most of the config at once and
backup/restore is also much easier in many cases