[Dovecot] Upgrading 1.2 to 2.x

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 6 23:29:34 EET 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 08:28:06 -0800
Professa Dementia <professa at dementianati.com> wrote:

> On 3/5/2013 7:34 AM, Simon Brereton wrote:
>
> > What's the recommended approach then?  Pack it all into dovecot.conf
> > as it was before, or use the split config files under conf.d/ - is
> > this even a choice?
>
> Split configs are nicer and easier to work with and I am all for
> nicer and easier.
>
> Dem

I couldn't disagree more. With everything in one file, you use your
editor's search facility instead of needing to use grep on everything.
You see everything by scanning up and down instead of changing windows
or buffers. Copy and paste is harder between files than within one.
When changing or experimenting, you need to make backup copies of more
files. With one file, you always know which file to put something in,
and you run less risk of duplicates.

I see the attraction of a separate file for a separate and distinct
facility added by the site administrator, but otherwise, I'm a big fan
of the one file config.

SteveT