[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Wed Sep 28 04:41:37 EEST 2011

Depends on how you think about it.

If you forget about email addresses. Dovecot works on mailbox's, and
it maps a mailbox to a path, username, and password.

In postfix, it only cares about email addresses (if you use dovecot
for delivery, if not then postfix also has to care about the mailbox
location). In this case you just tell postfix the email addresses that
are valid, and what mailbox they go to.

So normally most users would just have a 1 to 1 mapping in postfix,
email -> email, as their email address will be the same as their
mailbox. But then you might have extra, like, sales at x -> user at x

All depends on how flexable or simple you want it later. You could
just manage two flatfiles. Or you could have it create the 1 to 1
mapping automatically with a script, and just do the extra mappings
seperate. Or do the whole thing in sql, and use like postfixadmin to
manage it all. Or even use postfixadmin, and have a script pull the
results into flatfiles that it uses.

It all depends on how much time and energy you want to spend in
setting it up, vs the flexibility you in vision you need later.

I do it 3 different ways, on different systems, one is just sql fully,
nothing interesting. My personal email is sql, but dumped to local
flatfiles. And another system I pull the info from windows AD.

Quoting terryjames9461 at mm.st: