[Dovecot] Virtual mailboxes and subfolders

François-Xavier Payet fx.payet at tfdn.org
Thu Dec 2 20:52:14 EET 2010

Le 2 déc. 2010 à 18:55, Timo Sirainen a écrit :

> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 10:51 +0100, François-Xavier Payet wrote:
>> Hello again,
>> I'd like to know if there is a way to have subfolders in virtual
>> mailbox?
>>
>> In my virtual namespaces, I have some virtual maiboxes named like this
>> :
>>    Mailbox
>>    Mailbox.SubMailbox
>>
>> (the separator is '.')
>
> So you have virtual/Mailbox/dovecot-virtual and
> virtual/Mailbox/SubMailbox/dovecot-virtual files?

In fact, I had virtual/Mailbox/dovecot-virtual and virtual/Mailbox.SubMailbox/dovecot-virtual, I thought subfolder should be named with the separator. It is working with your hierarchy, thanks!

>> But when I try to access the submailbox, depending on my client, it
>> either :
>>   - Tells me the mailbox doesn't exists (Roundcube)
>>   - Don't show me any error, but don't display any mail in the mailbox
>> (Apple Mail.app)
>
> Try talking IMAP protocol directly:
>
> a login user pass
> b select Mailbox.SubMailbox
>
> What is the error message? If it's simply "Mailbox doesn't exist", does
> this then show it:
>
> c list "" *
>
>> namespace:
>>   type: private
>>   separator: .
>>   location: virtual:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir/virtual:INDEX=MEMORY
>>   inbox: yes
>>   list: yes
>>   subscriptions: yes
>
> So you use virtual namespace as the only visible namespace? .. That's
> interesting.

Yes, only my virtual namespace is visible and is copying messages to the real maildir. I do that so that I can, in each mailbox, see all complete mail threads, even for the mails not in this mailbox (typically, the mail sent by me)