[Dovecot] Virtual mailboxes and subfolders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Dec 2 19:55:37 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 10:51 +0100, François-Xavier Payet wrote:
> Hello again,
>  I'd like to know if there is a way to have subfolders in virtual
>  mailbox?
>
>  In my virtual namespaces, I have some virtual maiboxes named like this
>  :
>     Mailbox
>     Mailbox.SubMailbox
>
>  (the separator is '.')

So you have virtual/Mailbox/dovecot-virtual and
virtual/Mailbox/SubMailbox/dovecot-virtual files?

>  But when I try to access the submailbox, depending on my client, it
>  either :
>    - Tells me the mailbox doesn't exists (Roundcube)
>    - Don't show me any error, but don't display any mail in the mailbox
>  (Apple Mail.app)

Try talking IMAP protocol directly:

a login user pass
b select Mailbox.SubMailbox

What is the error message? If it's simply "Mailbox doesn't exist", does
this then show it:

c list "" *

>  namespace:
>    type: private
>    separator: .
>    location: virtual:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir/virtual:INDEX=MEMORY
>    inbox: yes
>    list: yes
>    subscriptions: yes

So you use virtual namespace as the only visible namespace? .. That's
interesting.