[Dovecot] Linux should be as easy as Windows

Uldis Pakuls neko at it4u.lv
Thu Aug 19 00:39:49 EEST 2010

On 08/18/2010 05:54 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:12:11 -0500
> Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com> articulated:
>
>> Yuck.   The problem with such a generalization as 'making things
>> easy', is that to do so the system needs to make decisions for the
>> user.
>>
>> The reason I stay away from Windows is because it tends to make bad
>> decisions.
>
> Every application makes assumptions about what the end user needs.
> Dovecot as well as other applications such as Postfix have default
> configuration files. The end user is responsible for tweaking these
> files for their own preferences.
>
> Windows has the same capabilities. In fact, I have virtually never
> found a setting that I could not change in a Windows environment. The
> fact is that all too many users fail to RTFM and simply blame Windows
> for their own laziness.

I have used a lots of differer OS. First one was Solars, the IBM OS/2,
then AIX, Then came "a shock therapy" - DOS. For a long time I can't
believe that someone developed OS on which you can run only one program
in same time.:) Then graphical GUI appeared for DOS - Windows 3.x - 9x
Then first real OS (NT based, with some real multitasking at last).
And.. here comes nightmare of configuration. If someone ever tried to
tune up a little Windows or lets say configure custom MS AD setup...
then You know - it means real nightmare dealing with registry. Mostly
undocumented. If someone gives me contents of /etc form *BSD, OSX of
Linux - in few hours it can be examine and all system configuration is
clear. But I don' t now any admin who can explain at less 1/3 of his
Windows server registry settings. Let's export MS Excange 2007 IMAP
server relateed registry part. All setting clear...? if not - documented?

E.g. try to configure MS Exchange to use Lotus Domino LDAP user
database. Easy? I don't think so (while possible). With Dovecot it was
15 min admin task:)

I realy don't now any other OS with so complex (and same time puerly
document) configuration than Windows with it's registry.