[Dovecot] Linux should be as easy as Windows

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 00:51:47 EEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 12:39:49AM +0300, Uldis Pakuls wrote:

> I have used a lots of differer OS. First one was Solars, the IBM OS/2,
> then AIX, Then came "a shock therapy" - DOS. For a long time I can't
> believe that someone developed OS on which you can run only one program
> in same time.:) Then graphical GUI appeared for DOS - Windows 3.x - 9x

Blame that on IBM, to save a few dollars on cost it used a 16 bit CPU w/out memory
protection. If they had used a motorola m68k (32 bit) CPU & an MMU chip
we would all have been saved an enormous amount of agony. Although Bill
G would have had to write DOS from scratch rather than buy it in.
But then: IBM thought that it was only going to sell 50,000 of these
machines so it wasn't really worth the bother to get the design right :-(

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/