[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.2, quota and LDAP

Stian Jordet liste+dovecot at jordet.net
Sun Jul 26 00:45:45 EEST 2009

Hi!

I'm in the progress of upgrading from Dovecot 1.0.15 to 1.2.1. This has
gone pretty smooth. I just have one question to check wether I have
understood the documentation right.

I have both system users and virtual users. That's easy to do when using
LDAP for userdb. The system users use filesystems quota, the virtual
users use maildir quota. I achieved this using the following in LDAP:
"fs:" (for system users, obviously) and "maildir:storage=2048000" for
virtual users. This has worked fine for years.

But after reading the documentation, it seems I now have to use two
ldap-fields to achieve the same thing? One "quota" and one "quota_rule"?
Is this correct? It's of course not impossible, but it's kinda a hassle
to hand craft a new schema, deploy, and update all the user's entries.

If my users didn't have two kind of quotas, it would be easy, but with
two quota methods, I don't see any other way than to use two
ldap-fields. Which I hope I don't have to :)

Thanks.

Regards,
Stian