[Dovecot] Transition from Courier-IMAP

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 7 15:24:45 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 14:17 +0200, Arno van Amersfoort wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Currently we are looking at the possibility of moving from Courier-IMAP
> to Dovecot (the one that comes with Debian Lenny: version 1.0.15). I'm
> currently testing it on a non-production server and have a few questions:
>
> 1) Currently all our clients use Thunderbird as their mail client to
> read mail from our IMAP server. Thunderbird is configured with "INBOX."
> as the "IMAP server directory". As we certainly do NOT want to
> reconfigure over 150 desktops, we would like to know if it's possible to
> make Dovecot work with Thunderbird Configured this way -> Simply make
> Dovecot act the same as Courier-IMAP. With the default configuration of
> Dovecot I can see the (IMAP) Inbox but not its subfolders when "IMAP
> server directory" is NOT empty. Is there a way to let Dovecot ignore
> this setting and/or make it compatible with Courier?

Yes. Create the namespace as described in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier

> 2) About a year back we already test-drived Dovecot but we weren't able
> to get "Delete as marked" option to work in Thunderbird in combination
> with "Expunge to trash". Any messages marked as deleted would simply be
> deleted permanently when Thunderbird was closed. This did work properly
> with Courier where any messages were expunged to Trash (as it should).
> Is this a known problem and has it been addressed yet?

I know Courier has a non-standard feature that causes expunging messages
to move them to Trash mailbox instead of really expunging. Dovecot
doesn't support this feature and I'm not planning on implementing it. It
should be possible to implement a plugin to do it though.

But Thunderbird can be configured to handle deletion by copying it to
Trash, which should do pretty much the same thing. Are your users not
using this setting?