[Dovecot] Transition from Courier-IMAP

Arno van Amersfoort arnova at eld.physics.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Oct 7 15:17:46 EEST 2008

Hello all,

Currently we are looking at the possibility of moving from Courier-IMAP
to Dovecot (the one that comes with Debian Lenny: version 1.0.15). I'm
currently testing it on a non-production server and have a few questions:

1) Currently all our clients use Thunderbird as their mail client to
read mail from our IMAP server. Thunderbird is configured with "INBOX."
as the "IMAP server directory". As we certainly do NOT want to
reconfigure over 150 desktops, we would like to know if it's possible to
make Dovecot work with Thunderbird Configured this way -> Simply make
Dovecot act the same as Courier-IMAP. With the default configuration of
Dovecot I can see the (IMAP) Inbox but not its subfolders when "IMAP
server directory" is NOT empty. Is there a way to let Dovecot ignore
this setting and/or make it compatible with Courier?

2) About a year back we already test-drived Dovecot but we weren't able
to get "Delete as marked" option to work in Thunderbird in combination
with "Expunge to trash". Any messages marked as deleted would simply be
deleted permanently when Thunderbird was closed. This did work properly
with Courier where any messages were expunged to Trash (as it should).
Is this a known problem and has it been addressed yet?

Basically both questions can be brought together as "How can we make
Dovecot as compatible as possible with Courier-IMAP"?

Thanks,

--
Ing. A.C.J. van Amersfoort (Arno)
Electronics & ICT Engineer