[Dovecot] Unbreakable NFS locking issues...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 20 02:54:48 EET 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 9:01 PM, Rod Treweek wrote:

> password_query = SELECT username as user, password,
> concat('/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/',
> maildir) as userdb_home, concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/
> mailSysV2/',maildir,
> ':INDEX=/usr/local/dovecot/indexes/',maildir) as userdb_mail, 143 AS
> userdb_uid, 143 AS userdb_gid, concat('*:storage=',
> floor(quota*1024)) AS
> quota_rule FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'

The userdb_* fields here are used only if you're using prefetch userdb.

> user_query = SELECT concat('/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/', maildir) as
> home,
> concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/', maildir) as mail,
> concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/',maildir,
> ':INDEX=/usr/local/dovecot/indexes/',maildir) as mail_location,

"mail_location" field is ignored. It's called mail, which you're also
returning without the :INDEX.

So I guess you're 1) not using prefetch userdb so the userdb_mail in
password_query doesn't get used and 2) the "mail" field without :INDEX
is used from user_query.

> I've got mail working more or less, however the indexes simply will
> not
> appear in the path referenced above. My suspicion has been that this
> is
> where my nfs locking problems are occurring, as  the indexes are
> just not
> getting populated.  Any ideas?  I gather that the  cacheing done
> through the
> mysql database is desirable as it would tend to speed things up
> quite a
> bit....any ideas on how to pass the index location through the
> string as
> well? Or is this generally regarded as a negligible gain?

What caching? I'm not really sure what you're asking here.