[Dovecot] Unbreakable NFS locking issues...

Rod Treweek rtreweek at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:01:42 EET 2008

Hi all,

I've got an isolated test environment set up now, and am trying to figure
out how to get the index files to populate.  So far, I cannot seem to get
them to appear in the /usr/local/dovecot/indexes directory as referenced
below.  Here is the sql string:

[root at post-app2 /usr/local/etc]# grep -v '^ *\(#.*\)\?$' dovecot-mysql.conf
driver = mysql

password_query = SELECT username as user, password,
concat('/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/',
maildir) as userdb_home, concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/',maildir,
':INDEX=/usr/local/dovecot/indexes/',maildir) as userdb_mail, 143 AS
userdb_uid, 143 AS userdb_gid, concat('*:storage=', floor(quota*1024)) AS
quota_rule FROM mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'

user_query = SELECT concat('/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/', maildir) as home,
concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/', maildir) as mail,
concat('maildir:/NFS1MAILDIR/mailSysV2/',maildir,
':INDEX=/usr/local/dovecot/indexes/',maildir) as mail_location, 143 AS uid,
143 AS gid, concat('*:storage=', floor(quota*1024)) AS quota_rule FROM
mailbox WHERE username = '%u' AND active = '1'
[root at post-app2 /usr/local/etc]#

I've got mail working more or less, however the indexes simply will not
appear in the path referenced above. My suspicion has been that this is
where my nfs locking problems are occurring, as  the indexes are just not
getting populated.  Any ideas?  I gather that the  cacheing done through the
mysql database is desirable as it would tend to speed things up quite a
bit....any ideas on how to pass the index location through the string as
well? Or is this generally regarded as a negligible gain?

Thanks everyone.

-Rod