[Dovecot] dovecot for imap

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Apr 30 20:52:41 EEST 2007

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
> They are for a fact invisible.  I tried to subscribe to them.  They dont
> show up.

Then indeed you have the wrong mail_location directive in the
configuration file.  You should follow all of the steps listed here:

	http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

starting with step 5.  Unless someone on the list has *exactly* the same
setup as you do, I would perform those tests yourself, since anyone
random user's suggestion for mail_location should be considered a WAG
(wild a$$ed guess).

> However, new folders can be created.  Looks like dovecot
> created a folder in /home/user named mail, and Maildir.  mail has
> userfolders in it and Maildir has their inbox.  Does this sound right?
> Currently my users inbox is /var/mail/spool/mail.

For one thing, if your existing "user created folders" exist in the top
level /home/username folder, then this is certainly wrong:

	mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

since that would store the user folders inside a directory called "mail"
in their home directory (which is what you found, right?).

One last suggestion, make sure that you restart dovecot completely after
making changes to the config file; it sounds like at somepoint you had
something else in mail_location, which is why you have a Maildir.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group