[Dovecot] dovecot for imap

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Mon Apr 30 20:59:58 EEST 2007

Quoting John Peacock <jpeacock at rowman.com>:

> dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> They are for a fact invisible.  I tried to subscribe to them.  They
>>  dont show up.
>
> Then indeed you have the wrong mail_location directive in the
> configuration file.  You should follow all of the steps listed here:
>
> 	http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation
>
> starting with step 5.  Unless someone on the list has *exactly* the
> same setup as you do, I would perform those tests yourself, since
> anyone random user's suggestion for mail_location should be considered
> a WAG (wild a$$ed guess).
>
>> However, new folders can be created.  Looks like dovecot created a
>> folder in /home/user named mail, and Maildir.  mail has userfolders
>>  in it and Maildir has their inbox.  Does this sound right?
>> Currently my users inbox is /var/mail/spool/mail.
>
> For one thing, if your existing "user created folders" exist in the top
> level /home/username folder, then this is certainly wrong:
>
> 	mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> since that would store the user folders inside a directory called
> "mail" in their home directory (which is what you found, right?).
>
> One last suggestion, make sure that you restart dovecot completely
> after making changes to the config file; it sounds like at somepoint
> you had something else in mail_location, which is why you have a
> Maildir.
>
> John
>
> --
> John Peacock
> Director of Information Research and Technology
> Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
> 4501 Forbes Boulevard
> Suite H
> Lanham, MD  20706
> 301-459-3366 x.5010
> fax 301-429-5748

Yes,
At first I went with the default settings and let dovecot guess about
the mail location (so that is why it created the Maildir file which
has these files in it: cur  dovecot.index  dovecot.index.cache
dovecot.index.log  new  tmp ).  My mail is actually at /var/mail
(linked to /mail for quotas).   I like wag.  I'll have to use that also.

thanks,
ddh

--
Dwayne Hottinger