[Dovecot] Extra inbox problem

Steve A gmane at rowyerboat.com
Thu Dec 7 19:59:32 UTC 2006

> "Jim Horner" <jhorner at arinbe.com> wrote in message
> news:200612071329.23389.jhorner at arinbe.com... On Thursday 07 December

> Outlook is a piece of crap. I just felt like venting.

I couldn't agree more.  It's not my decision what they use unfortunately
otherwise I would probably spread Thunderbird amongst them.

> There is an option in Outlook to set the "Root Path" or some such
> configuration option. I have to tell folks to make sure that is
> blank. However, it sounds like you could set this person's root path
> to INBOX. and their folders will magically reappear... be aware then
> that this person will only see their INBOX namespace then and won't
> see any public or shared namespaces. Our CEO refuses to remove the
> INBOX. from his root path and therefore can not see the shared
> folders (idiot springs to mind).

And there was the clue.  What had happened was the .subscriptions file
(which seems to lists all subfolders of INBOX) as opposed to the
subscriptions file, didn't have any folders listed.  Actually it had one...
Junk.  I just opened Outlook, and subscribed to the folder that it listed
and hey presto, they all appeared again!

I don't know whether it was User/Outlook/Dovecot/Fedora that was at fault,
but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Steve ;)