[Dovecot] specifying INBOX with maildir for mail_location

Post Master postmaster at psy.miami.edu
Thu Dec 7 22:03:49 UTC 2006

I'd like to store all of my mail in maildir, but I want to store the
inbox and indices on fast storage and everything else on deep storage.
Does the following configuration value for mail_location accomplish this?

mail_location =
maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln:INBOX=/data/fast/%Ld/mail/%Ln:INDEX=/data/fast/%Ld/indices/%Ln

If not, does the following configuration accomplish this with namespaces?

mail_location =
maildir:/data/fast/%Ld/mail/%Ln:INDEX=/data/fast/%Ld/indices/%Ln

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   hidden = yes
   prefix =
   location =
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   hidden = yes
   prefix = ???
   location = maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln/???
}

Actually, I can't quite finish the namespace configuration.  I'd like to
set something like:

   prefix = *
   location = maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln

But I suspect the '*' won't actually match everything, and even if it
did, I suppose it would also match the inbox.  I began with listing any
and every typical folder in its own namespace like:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   hidden = yes
   prefix = drafts
   location = maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln/drafts
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   hidden = yes
   prefix = templates
   location = maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln/templates
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   hidden = yes
   prefix = sent
   location = maildir:/data/deep/%Ld/mail/%Ln/sent
}

and so on, but that doesn't seem very elegant.  Also, namespaces scare
me for client compatibility.  Am I missing something obvious?