[Dovecot] 2.1: Error: Maildir filename has wrong S value, renamed the file from

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 27 21:10:59 EET 2013

On 27.3.2013, at 18.41, Peer Heinlein <p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de> wrote:

> Am 27.03.2013 08:44, schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>
>> Oh, except I actually forgot to load zlib plugin in my previous test.
> I can't reproduce with these steps.. and I don't really see why they
> would cause it anyway. A broken cached size would cause that rename, but
> not a missing cached size.
>
> Thats why I wrote from STEP ONE and from STEP TWO.
>
> I had the impression, that Dovecot first rebuilds his cache with WRONG
> sizes and THEN starts in step two the renaming.

Well, the question is then.. Why were the corrupted in the first place? Based on your previous error message it looked like the cache file contained the compressed size, so maybe zlib plugin wasn't loaded for some Dovecot process at that time?

Anyway, yeah, I guess there are two potential improvements here: Either a) don't rename maildir file if S=size is different from cached size or b) rename the S=size to the correct decompressed size (=no renaming if it's correct). Not sure which one is easier to do, possibly b) and possibly it should be done anyway.

In any case, I think this is a good addition: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/6d9444ea1c9a