[Dovecot] Please help to make decision

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Mar 25 02:21:29 EET 2013

On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 20:12 +0400, Tigran Petrosyan wrote:

> Hi
> We are going to implement the "Dovecot" for 1 million users. We are going
> to use more than 100T storage space. Now we examine 2 solutions NFS or GFS2
> via (Fibre Channel storage).
> Can someone help to make decision? What kind of storage solution we can use
> to achieve good performance and scalability.

I'd recommend NFS, very easy to scale and excellent performance, we
limit 8K simultaneous connections per server, they could do lot more,
but never seen close to that anyway, usually at peaks is around 5K per
box, however, thats pop3 - imap is only used for  webmail.

If you are only doing pop3, use INDEX=MEMORY as well, eg:
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%1n/%1.1n/%2.1n/%
n/Maildir:INDEX=MEMORY

But if using imap, then I understand dovecots director (we dont use it)
is better solution