[Dovecot] Reduce logging auth-worker

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Mar 24 19:05:43 EET 2013

On 23.3.2013, at 3.31, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> We would like to reduce the logging by increasing severity, we don't
> use syslog since we use
>
> log_path = /var/log/dovecot/pop3.log
>
> Is there a way auth-worker can be made to log  warn|error   instead of info?
>
> Constantly 1/5th of the log file is filled with auth-work info
> connecting to mysql socket, which we do not need to see unless, well,
> we need to see it either via debug, or if there is a problem, I know
> this can be done from syslog, but we prefer not to use syslog, and the
> wiki does not indicate it can be done?

Well, you could do something like:

service auth-worker {
  executable = auth -w -L -o info_log_path=/dev/null
}

Or you could increase process_min_avail so processes wouldn't all the time be created/destroyed and you wouldn't have so many mysql connection messages.

But then again, I can't really think of any use for those messages. LDAP for example doesn't log about it. So removed from v2.2 unless someone gives a good reason for why they should stay: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/33e78edac8f5