[Dovecot] Upgrading 1.2 to 2.x

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Mar 6 00:25:19 EET 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 11:33 +0100, Simon Brereton wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm about to upgrade to 2.1.7 in my test environment, but  "doveconf
> -n -c dovecot.1.conf > dovecot.2.conf" is producing a blank file, so I
> am unsure how to proceed.  I know a lot has changed between them, so I
> don't really want to have to start from scratch unless I have to.
>
> I have tried both as my user and with sudo.
>
> Simon

Sounds like  symptom of an error or something in 1.conf, I found
converting that if it strikes something it does not like it bails there
and then, but it gave me about 80% conversion, only requiring  tweaking
to finalise it, however it did not convert quota stuff to new format so
start that from scratch.

When you run convert it usually spits out what it is, or is not doing,
that must give you some clue.

and should matter what UID you are on, so long as you have read access
to 1.conf and write access to 2.conf