[Dovecot] problem with out-of-box fedora rpm

Marc Newman marcn at comcen.com.au
Thu Apr 13 12:33:27 EEST 2006

Hi Folks,

Most of the available howtos suggest that an out of the box binary rpm
should at least be able to start on a similarly out of the box Fedora
Core 4 installation. However, whenever I run /sbin/service dovecot start
I get a failed message.

Dovecot was installed using the standard package that ships with FC4
(i386 0.99.14). The only slightly anomalous feature of my system is that
wlan0 not eth0 is the primary network interface. This hasn't upset
anything else though. I even tried disabling the firewall briefly to see
if that had any effect, and it doesn't.

So, two questions. Firstly, any ideas on why it might be failing to
start? Secondly, where might I look (like, which logs/where) for clues?
/var/log/messages doesn't contain any references to dovecot (I grepped
it), so I'm out of ideas.

My sendmail configuration is working perfectly, and I can send and
receive emails fine. But I need pop3 access for some of my users.

Just to recap, I haven't even got to the point of testing whether its
listening, or configuring authentication. It will not start out of the
box. Am I missing some essential configuration step?

Marc.