Unable to see virtual users

Randall Gellens dovecot at randy.pensive.org
Sat Nov 29 02:57:40 UTC 2014

Thanks very much; please see in-line for clarification questions.

At 8:22 AM +0100 11/28/14, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

>  On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Randall Gellens wrote:
>
>>  I'm still having trouble getting users accepted by postfix + dovecot.
>
>  I suppose in your system + virtual user mix, you should use LMTP:
>  http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP
>  So Dovecot handles the difference itself.

I have postfix set to use dovecot-lda as the delivery agent, which I
thought would make postfix let dovecot handle the differences.  I
also thought if I used LMTP then I can't also use dovecot-lda and
Sieve.  Can you help me understand?

>>  userdb {
>>   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/local/mnt/home/%n
>>   driver = static
>>  }
>>  userdb {
>>   driver = passwd
>>  }
>
>  The static userdb does hide the passwd userdb, because it hits for
> all users. You should change the order.

What I have in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-auth.conf is:
----------
passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   # args = scheme=SHA1 /etc/dovecot/passwd
   # args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/users
   args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/passwd
}

userdb {
   driver = static
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/local/mnt/home/%n
}

!include auth-system.conf.ext
----------

What I have in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/auth-system.conf.ext is:

----------
passdb {
   driver = pam
   # [session=yes] [setcred=yes] [failure_show_msg=yes] [max_requests=<n>]
   # [cache_key=<key>] [<service name>]
   #args = dovecot
   args = username_format=%n
}

userdb {
   # <doc/wiki/AuthDatabase.Passwd.txt>
   driver = passwd
   # [blocking=no]
   #args =

   # Override fields from passwd
   #override_fields = home=/home/virtual/%u
}

So, in  /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-auth.conf the passwd-file userdb is
before the static one, yet 'doveconf -n' reports them the other way
around.  I think the system user is not in the system /etc/passwd
file anyway, the sytem user is verified using PAM.

Sorry for being so confused.

--
Randall Gellens