spam folder and POP users

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Nov 21 08:27:59 UTC 2014

Am 20.11.2014 um 23:43 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> On 11/20/2014 05:35 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 20.11.2014 um 23:29 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>>> I am new to actually running dovecot.  I actually still use POP as I
>>> have for YEARS and thunderbird does not make it easy to convert to
>>> IMAP...
>>>
>>> My server is moving all tagged spam into the IMAP spam folder. Very
>>> nice for the IMAP users, but not for the POP users.  Of course the
>>> server don't know, and the mysql database for users does not have any
>>> flags for this.  Don't want my server to fill up with spam from POP
>>> users that don't know to check via IMAP.
>>>
>>> I am using roundcubemail for the webmail IMAP client.  Is there any way
>>> for POP users to indicate that they do not want spam so nicely auto
>>> moved to the IMAP spam folder?
>>
>> dovecot just don't know if it is a "POP3 user"
>
> That I know.  Though since it is using a mysql database of users, I
> COULD add a column designating this.  But it would be difficult to
> maintain.  Better perhaps for dovecot NOT to be so nice to move the
> messages and leave that to the client.

exactly - it's not maintainable and from the moment on you offer webmail
it's done at all

>> it is just a user
>>
>> what about setup a better spam filter so you can deliver the 5-10 spam
>> messages just to INBOX with [SPAM] added to the subject?
>
> Well ***SPAM*** is added to the subject

it's worthless just add a prefix to a high-score spam with a score of 47
instead *reject* it via *milter*

> And it seems that dovecot is
> being really nice to act on that and move it.  Now I have to remember
> what I did to configure this and unconfigure this

just remove the sieve rule you have active, dovecot never ever moves
anything around until someone said so