TRANSLATION extension to the NAMESPACE response supported?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Wed Jul 16 07:12:24 UTC 2014

Quoting Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl>:

> On 7/15/2014 11:24 PM, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>> Quoting Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl>:

>>> Afaict, Oracle currently has the only implementation of the LANGUAGE
>>> capability:
>>>
>>> http://www.imapwiki.org/Specs
>>>
>>> I haven't seen any plans for it in Dovecot so far and I think you are
>>> one of the first to request it. :)
>>
>> This is not the LANGUAGE extension - this is namespace translations
>> (I18NLEVEL=1).
>>
>> Dovecot has supported this since 1.1 according to that page.
>
> What gives you that idea? From http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5255#section-1:
>
> The LANGUAGE extension allows the client to request a suitable
> language for protocol error messages and in combination with the
> NAMESPACE extension [RFC2342 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2342>]
> enables namespace translations.

My mistake.

I implemented this long ago, and I explicitly remember parsing the
extended namespace translation data.  I assume this testing was done
against a Dovecot server.  However, a look at the code indicates that
the testing was from static data in our unit tests.  Whoops.  I stand
corrected.  This is part of LANGUAGE rather than I18NLEVEL=1.

LANGUAGE is pretty much worthless other than the namespace part ...
who cares if the human-readable text is translated since, other than
ALERT text, it is never shown to the end-user?  That explains why
nobody has implemented it.

michael