If local Dovecot stops working, check lo

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Tue Jul 15 09:46:36 UTC 2014

On 15.7.2014 11:13, Nick Edwards wrote:
> On 7/14/14, Jiri Bourek <bourek at thinline.cz> wrote:

>>> Use a better operating system then
>>
>> Blaming operating system after *one* person reports something strange
>> about it seems a bit overboard, doesn't it...?
>>
> debian has a long history of being clueless:
> old packages in new releases, untested packages in releases
> (mailscanner did not, and was never going to, work out of thebox in a
> recent release)

As most Linux distributions, Debian is a collective work done mostly by
volunteers. If you want newer versions and tested packages, feel free to
help them.

And honestly, the situation about untested and old packages isn't as
grim as you're trying to say.

> debian has history of thinking it knows better than upstream:
> openssl screwup they told debian was wrong but debian released it
> anyway causing grief for not only debian systems but all systems
> including windows that used certs generated on a debi\an server.

AFAIK it was actually the other way around. Debian maintainers asked on
openssl-dev list if their change is ok and were told that it is.

> and dont get me started on debians release/ftp manager and the
> personal biases there either, shall I go? I can but it would be a bore
> for most.

As far as I am concerned, there's no need to be more OT than we are now.

Also please stop sending me personal messages, I am on the list.