[Dovecot] Disallow certain characters in foldernames?

Wed Jan 8 19:52:09 EET 2014

Is there a way to do this in dovecot? Similar to how you can

When using Maildir and Thunderbird, if a user tries to a create folder
named "test.1" or "test/1", dovecot will happily create a folder called
"test", with a subfolder called "1".

Worse, the top level folder "test" is greyed out, which is how
Thunderbird displays a folder that can contain only other folders, not
both folders and files.

I want to disallow this. Obviously I'd prefer if Thunderbird would
display a meaningful error, but most likely dovecot cannot control that.

I don't really care if the user just gets some kind of weird generic
error or not, I'd just prefer to prevent dovecot from creating the
problematic folders, and explain the problem to the user if/when they
call about it (after NOT reading my carefully crafted documentation
explaining the illegal characters that cannot be used in foldernames).

--

Best regards,

Charles