[Dovecot] mdbox - healthy rotation size vs default

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Mon Aug 26 21:58:13 EEST 2013

On 25.08.2013, at 15:37, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 10:47:56AM +0200, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> I am running "mdbox_rotate_size = 100m" for approx. a year now on
>> a small server (a handful of users, only). All mailboxes are around
>> 1G each with a lot of attachments. I never had an issue so far.
>
> How much space are your mdboxes using, compared to to quota usage?

Sorry, but I do not understand your question.

> I.e. how much space is wasted on deleted messages?
>
> (not sure this will be easy to measure, because of compression..)

True, it is hard to answer ;-)

As a very rough estimate I do estimate a 5% waste of space regarding deleted messages. But, my handful users are very disciplined in purging their deleted messages on a regular basis (I told them to do), and thus my regular "doveadm purge -A" runs will reduce that amount of wasted disk space to a minimum.

Not very helpful, I know,
Michael