[Dovecot] expire plugin doesn't work?

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sat Aug 24 13:22:32 EEST 2013

Yes, you add that cron job, and it would work with or without the expire
plugin.
The thing is that if the expire plugin is enabled, the "doveadm expunge"
command will look at the expires table in mysql and only process users
who are in the database with a timestamp older than your specified
message age. The timestamp is supposed to designate "age of oldest
message in folder". Without the expires plugin, the command would have
to process every user in the system (as per the result of the iterate
query, if you're using SQL authentication) and actually open every Trash
folder and look inside, which would normally be a lot more work and take
more time.