[Dovecot] sysconfdir depreacted

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Mar 22 03:55:56 EET 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 15:46 +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 21.3.2012, at 15.26, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> > The purpose of any build scripts --sysconfdir is to tell the
> > configuration to build in a path for its binaries configuration file(s).
> >
> > Dovecot 2.1.3, seems to insist that that directory is now /etc/dovecot/
> > ignoring --sysconfdir=/etc  as in 1.2.x and previous majors before that,
> > is this a bug? if not, then I see no point of sysconfdir any more and it
> > should be removed, if dovecot deliberately ignores what it is told to
> > use.
>

> --sysconfdir=/etc uses /etc/dovecot/
>
> --sysconfdir=/opt/dovecot/etc uses /opt/dovecot/etc/dovecot/
>
> There is now always the dovecot/ suffix, but the the /etc part is still configurable.

perhaps it should be renamed then, given it violates the known normal
for SYSCONF dir, you've just created another form of --datadir

from gnu.org:

"sysconfdir"

        The directory for installing read-only data files that pertain
        to a single machine–that is to say, files for configuring a
        host. Mailer and network configuration files, ‘/etc/passwd’, and
        so forth belong here. All the files in this directory should be
        ordinary ASCII text files. This directory should normally be
        ‘/usr/local/etc’, but write it as ‘$(prefix)/etc’. (If you are
        using Autoconf, write it as ‘@sysconfdir@’.)

"datadir"

        The directory for installing idiosyncratic read-only
        architecture-independent data files for this program. This is
        usually the same place as ‘datarootdir’, but we use the two
        separate variables so that you can move these program-specific
        files without altering the location for Info files, man pages,
        etc.