[Dovecot] Building Dovecot RHEL RPMs with custom LDAP packages

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Mon Mar 19 15:47:24 EET 2012

On 19/3/2012 2:32 μμ, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> ISTM that herein lies the whole problem. Why did you not rpmbuild
> your OpenLDAP? That would have avoided all further fuss.

Thanks for the reply.

First, how would I rpmbuild my openldap v2.4.x as a standard CentOS 5
package (i.e. replacing native openldap-2.3.43-25)? If I were more
experienced, I could have tried to engineer
openldap-2.3.43-25.el5.src.rpm to upgrade the system to use 2.4.x... But
still, I haven't seen any OpenLDAP packages attempting to do so,
probably because of the tight integration of CentOS with some openldap
v2.3 libraries.

I think it's good that third-party packages (even of the same software)
give the ability to not mess with standard system. The same is true for
reputable Symas OpenLDAP packages.

So, I simply use LTB OpenLDAP, even though it's installed at
non-standard locations.

(This has an added benefit of easy migration. You can setup any/all of
those on the same system and decide which one to enable at any time.)

> Another observation I can offer, unwelcome as it may be: your OS
> choice was not a good one when you want the features of recent
> software. Perhaps you should rethink that choice. You have invested
> much effort in this task.

I like CentOS from many aspects as an enterprise server OS. I wouldn't
change it.

Yet, it's important to me to be able to build/combine non-standard
packages. Even with CentOS 6, I would still continue to use LTB OpenLDAP
for a number of reasons.

It's true that I've invested much effort in this task, but mostly
because my knowledge on this subject is very basic.

Note that Dovecot RPM works fine as is (compiled with OpenLDAP 2.3),
i.e. there is no real need in re-building it using OpenLDAP 2.4 libs. We
just try to make things better (and make our life a bit more difficult) :-)

> And that is really more a question for a CentOS forum than here.

True, but I am hoping that there might be some Dovecot RHEL/CentOS
packagers in this list, and that would help resolve issues more
effectively, as it is a Dovecot-specific (even if for a package thereof)
question.

So, any help will be appreciated!

> The latter requirement seems curious to me. In what way does Dovecot
> use Cyrus SASL?

Hmm, I can't tell. I hope atrpm packager(s), if present on this list,
can provide some feedback.

Thanks again,
Nick