[Dovecot] Building Dovecot RHEL RPMs with custom LDAP packages

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 14:32:14 EET 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 01:20:22PM +0200, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> We are (still) mainly using CentOS 5 (5.8 x86_64). As CentOS /
> RHEL 5 standard OpenLDAP packages are rather old (2.3.x), we've
> been using LTB OpenLDAP packages
> (http://ltb-project.org/wiki/download#openldap), which get
> installed in non-standard file system locations.

ISTM that herein lies the whole problem. Why did you not rpmbuild
your OpenLDAP? That would have avoided all further fuss.

Another observation I can offer, unwelcome as it may be: your OS
choice was not a good one when you want the features of recent
software. Perhaps you should rethink that choice. You have invested
much effort in this task.

> So, I would like to re-build Dovecot packages based on these
> OpenLDAP libraries, esp. because I see that dovecot RPM packages
> are built using OpenLDAP v2.3 libraries.
>
> I am not much experienced in building RPMs and preparing spec
> files.

And that is really more a question for a CentOS forum than here.

> In http://dl.atrpms.net/all/dovecot.spec I see:

> BuildRequires: openldap-devel, cyrus-sasl-devel

The latter requirement seems curious to me. In what way does Dovecot
use Cyrus SASL?