[Dovecot] replication howto

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Thu Mar 15 22:48:31 EET 2012

Hi --

On 15.03.2012, at 18:57, Matteo Cazzador wrote:

> Hi, yes it'a good idea but i'm using now root i hope this not
> invalid all

Actually it's a bad idea to use root for ssh from a security point
of view. A hacked root account isn't fun. Thus, normally one needs
to explicitly change the config of the sshd daemon to allow root
logins (at least with FreeBSD what I'm using). Thus, I do recommend
to use an unprivileged user like vmail.

> I obtain this error but maybe i need some pause

;-)

> Mar 15 18:55:28 Gentoo_cyrus_imap dovecot:
> dsync-local(matteo at netlite.locale): Error: remote: bash: doveadm:
> command not found

root doesn't not find doveadm at the remote server. As mentioned above
you better create an account for vmail and allow that user to find
doveadm in its path.

> Mar 15 18:55:28 Gentoo_cyrus_imap dovecot:
> dsync-local(matteo at netlite.locale): Error: read() from worker server
> failed: EOF

That's an error due to not finding doveadm at the remote site.

Regards,
Michael