[Dovecot] doveconf: Warning: Obsolete settings.... in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: ...

Dennis Chen dchenusa at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 05:57:16 EET 2012

Thanks Timo,

I believe I'm running dovecot 2.0.x when first installed Ubuntu server 11.04 then upgraded to 11.10.  The primary reason I posted this question was not only the warning msg but also looking for the default dovecot.conf so that I can modify from the scratch, however, I couldn't find the "auth default" section or the "socket listen" option in the dovecot.conf; note that the "auth default" section and "socket listen" need to be modified according Ubuntu 11.10 serverguide for Dovecot SASL configuration. There is a dovecot.conf.ucf under /etc/dovecot which contain the "auth default" and "socket listen" stuff, I renamed it to dovecot.conf and modified the "auth default" section and "socket listen" option there accordingly. Note that the dovecot.conf.ucf file is about 50k while the new dovecot.conf generated from the "doveconf -n" is about 4k ! Now I'm confused of using of which  dovecot.conf I should use (the one generated from the "doveconf -n" or the one renamed from the dovecot.conf.ucf" ?)

Does your dovecot.conf contain the "auth default" section and the "socket listen" ?  If not, should I complain to the Ubuntu serverguide ?

I also posted the similar question to ubuntuforums, but not much response.

Hope you understand my point.

It's very frustrated!

Sent from my iPhone