[Dovecot] HA Mailbox Design

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Thu Aug 9 17:58:10 EEST 2012

Hi,

We would like to implement a Highly Available Mail Server and would like
to ask advice on how to architect this.

Some details on our setup:

Currently we have only one internal mail server (Postfix/Dovecot 2.0 -
planning to move to 2.1), receiving mail from a gateway server
(filtering spam/viruses) - a Cisco Ironport - which we are considering
to replace with one (or a set of) cloud-based
Postfix/Amavis-new/SpamAssassin/ClamAV VMs (currently in testing mode).

Delivery uses Dovecot LDA. User accounts are LDAP-based.

We use Maildir and the load is low (aside spam). Only about 250
users/mailboxes (4G each). All servers are CentOS 5.8 (planning move to
6.3) KVM VMs (on a cloud where we don't have control on the host, but on
highly reliable hardware/networks).

We can have VMs on two different clouds and we also have at least two
different connections (routes) to the cloud(s) (to support HA).

Any directions will be appreciated. Hoping to design an HA architecture
but aiming to keep it simple and (as much as possible) easily
maintainable one.

Thanks for your response and help,
Nick