[Dovecot] IMAP IDLE - iPhone?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Aug 24 14:38:33 EEST 2012

Am 24.08.2012 13:18, schrieb Matthew Powell:
> On 2012-08-24, at 7.01, Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> I would personally recommend supporting it. If history teaches us
>> anything, it is that sooner or later, and usually sooner, someone will
>> require that block. Being prepared for it in advance would seem like
>> the prudent thing to do.
>
> I wonder whether it would be better to make the exclusion list configurable.
>
> As I understand it, the intention is to avoid treating connections through a
> load balancer or proxy as though they're the same client device

i doubt the ip is generally the wrong value to define
something is the same client device, there are millions
of networks behind NAT out there with a lot of clients
usually connecting to the same mailserver via the same
public IP and many of them have a workstation beside
a mobile device using the same IMAP account

the same device = open connection, nothing else

> The assumption that private address = proxy is a fair default

in my opinion this is generally the wrong direction

i do NOT like it when server software behaves different
from my private LAN where services are tested than later
after making the service public from the WAN