[Dovecot] imap(xxxxxxxx): Error: opendir(/user/xxxxxxxx/.imap) failed: No such file or directory

Daniel Parthey daniel.parthey at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Thu Aug 2 01:04:46 EEST 2012

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 14:00 +0200, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> > > where the <make gdb stop> will probably work if you do something like:
> > >
> > > a list "" *
> > > b lsub "" *
> > > c select inbox
> > >
> > > if not, check what IMAP commands your IMAP client sends when it fails. http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog
> >
> > I ran it anyway , the output is below
>
> All good, except the error didn't happen. So you'd need to look at the
> IMAP traffic to see which command generates the error.

Frank, please do a plaintext connect on IMAP port 143 from your mail client
to dovecot with a changed test password and record your traffic using tcpdump
or wireshark, something like this:

tcpdump -n -s 0 -w /tmp/pcap.dat -i eth0 tcp port 143

Then view the file pcap.dat with wireshark[1], right click on the TCP connection
and select "Follow TCP Stream" from the context menu. Then you'll get the IMAP
commands and responses spoken between Thunderbird and Dovecot.

Regards
Daniel

[1] http://www.wireshark.org/
--