[Dovecot] What best decision to make for flatfiles or SQL when I use Dovecot2 + Postfix together?

Simon Brereton simon.brereton at buongiorno.com
Wed Sep 28 16:49:49 EEST 2011

I have reasonable evidence that I'm by no means a sys-admin or even a linux Guru.  But for the past 5 years, I've managed a system like you're trying to build - Postfix/Amavis/SpamAssassin/Dovecot (until recently I was running Courier for the MDA) with an SQL backend.  It's never let me down, gives me a web interface (with PHPMyAdmin) to make changes, has 7 domains and about 300 user accounts.

Once the set-up is done, you can save a file with a few queries or even build a php page to make common changes (adding domains/users, etc).  Backup is easy.  For the record, I've never used Postfixadmin - although I hear great things about it.  Like the others, I'd recommend going the SQL route - it's easier to maintain and upgrade and it scales.  If you don't need it to scale you've lost nothing because it uses virtually no resources, and if you do, you have it.

Simon