[Dovecot] Virtual Folder configuration problem.

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Wed Sep 28 06:41:31 EEST 2011

>> Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Upgrade - which probably won't fix your problem, but because the
> version you're using is so old should be considered a requirement
> before asking for further help.

OK, I upgraded to the current version of Dovecot, which didn't
actually fix anything.

However I spent pretty much an entire day experimenting and reading
docs from all over the net, I came up with something that more-or-less
works, although it still behaves a touch strangely.

I added the following code:

dovecot.conf:
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins virtual
namespace {
   list = yes
   type = private
   prefix = virtual-folders.
   separator = .
   location = virtual:~/Maildir/virtual-folders
}

10-mail.conf:
namespace {
   separator = .
   prefix =
   inbox = yes
}

10-lda.conf
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve virtual

20-imap.conf
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins virtual

The directory virtual-folders appears inside the ~/Maildir folder and
contains the file dovecot-virtual, which contains:

# ~/Maildir/dovecot-virtual
INBOX
INBOX.Folder1
INBOX.Folder1.*
INBOX.Folder2
INBOX.Folder2.*
    unseen

This actually works, although the subscription to the virtual folder
vanishes with each logout, and need to be re-subscribed with each login.

Also, the virtual folder appears as "virtual-folder" in the client, at
the same level as INBOX. I'd like to make move it under INBOX and
place other virtual folders inside it, but haven't been able to find
the right configuration.

I would appreciate any hints on where to look to make the subscription
permanent and to make a folder structure containing virtual-folder
sub-nodes for various search criteria.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

Terry