[Dovecot] Fatal: postmaster_address setting not given

Richard Edmonds richard.edmonds at lasra.co.nz
Wed Mar 9 21:52:24 EET 2011

On 10/03/2011 12:45 a.m., Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2011-03-08 8:33 PM, Richard Edmonds wrote:
>> I'm getting: "Fatal: postmaster_address setting not given" errors in my
>> log file
>> dovecot ver:  1.2.12
>> Recently I tried to follow:
>> http://postfixmail.com/blog/index.php/postfixadmin-on-ubuntu-9-10/ on
>> ubuntu 10.10
>> (which works fine on ubunto 9.10)
> If you aren't going to follow the official docs, but some other howto,
> you should ask the other howto maintainer...
>
>> I note that in 10.10 their is no dovecot-postfix.conf so I made the
>> appropriate changes to dovecot.conf instead and changed master.cf
>> dovecot transport line since I saw someone recently had the same problem:
>>
>> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>>    flags=DRhu user=vmail:mail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -c
>> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf -f ${sender} -d ${recipient}
>>
>> I still have that problem however. Authentication seems ok but delivery
>> fails.
>> Any possibility of help on this one?
> dovecot -n output is generally mandatory when asking for help with your
> config...
>
> But really you should be asking this question in an ubuntu support forum
> don't you think?

Thanks for reviewing.

As it turns out the problem I had was due to a difference in dovecot
versions that I hadn't noticed. A section of the dovecot.conf file
describing the LDA parameters in which the default
#postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com
became
#postmaster_address =
Which caused fatal failure and needed to be fixed. That's all.
I doubt anyone else will have the same problem if they read the manual
or google for a solution and find /this/ post.

Thanks again
lockquote>
    Thanks for reviewing.<br>
    As it turns out the problem I had was due to a difference in dovecot
    versions that I hadn't noticed. A section of the dovecot.conf file
    describing the LDA parameters in which the default<br>
    #postmaster_address = postmaster at example.com<br>
    became<br>
    #postmaster_address =<br>
    Which caused fatal failure and needed to be fixed. That's all.<br>