[Dovecot] OT Re: auth on tcp socket?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Wed Mar 9 11:31:44 EET 2011

Sorry for becoming off topic. This will be my last post in this
thread.

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 08:31:40AM +0100, Hajo Locke wrote:
> Hello,
>

> >You should read Wietses post again.
> >
> >He told you to not rely on not documented settings since they can
> >silently disappear.
> >
> >With postfix you can rely on the documented behaviour. So it is
> >natural that there will be no warning for officially  unsupported
> >features.
> >

> yes, i know that. nobody should use undocumented  features.
> auth-service on tcp-socket was added by timo after my Suggestion
> last november.
> so when asking this on postfix's-side iam not really interested in
> current docs but wanted to suggest the update on implemention and
> docs to get it as official feature for next releases.

I can not see any feature request in your posts.

In http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0111.html
you asked if inet: is a recommended mechanism or if there are
alternatives while it is not documented. Later you unconditionally
stated the warning is obsolete, implicating removal, and asked to
mention an unsupported feature in official documentation. Neither is a
feature request.

> as an user all i can do is telling some facts and ask...

But you should state your questions clearly.

Dennis