[Dovecot] auth on tcp socket?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Tue Mar 8 20:22:35 EET 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 05:07:49PM +0100, Hajo Locke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry, iam digest reader, always creating a new message...

On http://dovecot.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/dovecot you can login to
change your membership options ;)

[..]

> >The initial version, yes, but it has been heavily modified since. I
> >never added that warning.
>
> >> Should there also made an update to support auth on tcp-socket without
> >> warnings from postfix side?
>
> >Looks like someone already added the inet: support, so I guess it should
> >work. You could ask on Postfix list to get the warning removed..
>
> wietse dont wants to change anything until it is not documented
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2011-03/0356.html
> may be the developers should talk directly to each other, i dont
> like to get forwarded to each other list to ask for reliability of
> features...

You should read Wietses post again.

He told you to not rely on not documented settings since they can
silently disappear.

With postfix you can rely on the documented behaviour. So it is
natural that there will be no warning for officially  unsupported
features.

Dennis