[Dovecot] Confused about Maildir

paul paul at pcartwright.com
Mon Nov 22 18:19:39 EET 2010

On 11/22/2010 11:07 AM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> The home dir is "home" in the Dovecot context - it CAN be the same as
> the system user home dir - but not necessarily.  The home dir is used
> for storing support files that are needed on a per-user basis, but
> aren't "pure" mail files.  Things like sieve scripts.
>
> The notation of ~ is accepted shorthand for "home dir" - and since
> we're discussing Dovecot, it needs to be interpreted (by the reader of
> the docs) as "home dir" in the Dovecot context.  Took me a little bit
> to grasp it myself.
maybe this will illustrate:
$ cd /tmp      # go someplace else, just so we can show that ~/ is
MY_HOME_DIR

pbc at paulandcilla:/tmp$ pwd
/tmp
pbc at paulandcilla:/tmp$ cd ~/
pbc at paulandcilla:~$ pwd
/home/pbc
pbc at paulandcilla:~$ cd ~/Maildir
pbc at paulandcilla:~/Maildir$ pwd
/home/pbc/Maildir
pbc at paulandcilla:~/Maildir$

so we basically cd to /tmp, show we are there, cd ~/ and show that it
takes me to MY homedir, then cd to ~/MAILDIR and in fact that is my
MAILDIR folder.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800