[Dovecot] Confused about Maildir

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Nov 22 18:07:39 EET 2010

On 11/22/2010 12:48 AM, Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:
> Op 22-11-2010 1:47, Glen Lee Edwards schreef:
>> I'm trying to configure Dovecot 2.0.7. In the Dovecot Wiki for Maildirs
>> it says that Maildirs are almost always located in ~/Maildir. I'm a
>> Linux end user, not a programmer, so I may be wrong in this; but isn't
>> the notation "~/" used for system users only to reference their home
>> page; /home/<user>? If that's the case, then does that mean that
>> Maildirs can only be used with system users and not with vmail accounts?

The home dir is "home" in the Dovecot context - it CAN be the same as
the system user home dir - but not necessarily.  The home dir is used
for storing support files that are needed on a per-user basis, but
aren't "pure" mail files.  Things like sieve scripts.

The notation of ~ is accepted shorthand for "home dir" - and since we're
discussing Dovecot, it needs to be interpreted (by the reader of the
docs) as "home dir" in the Dovecot context.  Took me a little bit to
grasp it myself.
--
Daniel