[Dovecot] Maildir feature I'd like to see - SSD for newer messages

Javier de Miguel Rodríguez javierdemiguel at us.es
Thu Dec 23 21:37:25 EET 2010

 On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:27:45 -0800, Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com>
 wrote:
> SSD drives are very fast but expensive. So I have a crude idea that
> I'd like to see. May not be practical but would like to get some
> thoughts on it.

 You are asking about automatic storage tiering. You can get what you
 want in a transparant way, independient
 of Dovecot. Some storage vendor (search for Fully Automated Storage
 Tiering - FAST from EMC or Compellent, recently
 bought by Dell) get what you are asking for.

 If the budget is low, you can achive a "poor´s man" storage tiering
 with some shell scripting, cron and soft links; Or you can look at
 http://code.google.com/p/fscops/ for a more mature implementation. Or
 just use ZFS and "hybrid storage pools"

 Merry Xmas

 Javier