[Dovecot] Maildir feature I'd like to see - SSD for newer messages

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu Dec 23 21:27:45 EET 2010

SSD drives are very fast but expensive. So I have a crude idea that I'd
like to see. May not be practical but would like to get some thoughts on it.

Some new SSDs use SATA 3 (6gb/sec) with 355/mb/sec read speeds and
215MB/sec write. Put these in raid 0 and it screams! Can you imagine how
fast that would be?

What would be nice is if new email were on faster drives with old email
being migrated to larger mechanical cheaper storage. Perhaps messages
over a month old? From dovecot's perspective it would sort of all look
the same but maybe one a week a script would run migrating older
messages to slower media.

It would also make backups easier. The faster newer messages could be
archived hourly. On the weekend after the archiving script was run the
older message could be backed up once a week.

I'm not sure what it would take to make dovecot seamlessly access email
from two different locations or if this is practical. Just wanted to
throw the idea out there to see if something sticks.