[Dovecot] Is this an index problem?
chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Thu Dec 23 19:33:49 EET 2010
This is my first post to this list/gmane newsgroup, so please be gentle
with me.... :-)
Here's my situation:
I have a user (the "main boss secretary") who uses MS Outlook 2007 as
her email client. She has over 46,000 messages in her inbox, with
nobody knows how many more in 75+ different folders & subfolders.
Surprisingly, her response time wasn't too terrible up until we had to
reboot our mail server the other day (actually, restoring the entire
server from a backup). Now it takes anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds for
her to switch from 1 folder to another.
* Server is Debian running Postfix and Dovecot (both the current
release). Using Maildir format stored in the user's ~/Maildir folder.
* User connects to server via Imaps. Connection is local using gigabit
network (ie. it ain't the network).
* Yes, we did all the things on the Outlook side -thinking that is where
the problem lays. Rebuild the .pst file, had Outlook re-index,
compacted the .pst file, etc.
So now I'm thinking that maybe I need to just wipe out all of the
~/Mailder/dovecot* files (including all those in sub-directories) and
let it all reindex. Which begets 3 questions:
(1) will this help?
(2) anyone have a shell script that will remove all those dovecot* files
from the user's directory AND all the sub-directories?
(3) Any other suggestions I might be missing?
More information about the dovecot