[Dovecot] limit login concurencly from different ip

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 8 01:29:40 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 13:22 +0100, Giovanni Mancuso wrote:

> I read in documentation that there is "mail_max_userip_connections", but
> in this way i limit the login that come from same ip. If the same user
> tries to connect from different ip, he succeeds.
>
> Can i do it?

Not directly. If you don't care about mail_max_userip_connections, you
can force it to ignore the user's IP with some hack:

a) modify source code

b) send all traffic via a dummy localhost proxy, which changes Dovecot
to see the IP as 127.0.0.1

Why do you want this anyway? Are you trying to prevent one user
accidentally from using too many connections, or to prevent intentional
DoS? I think the former is pretty unlikely, and the latter can be worked
around by DDoSing instead.