[Dovecot] Thunderbird namespace handling

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 10 14:52:48 EEST 2010

On 10.8.2010, at 7.56, Thomas Hummel wrote:

>> But then if you have
>>
>> namespace {
>>  prefix =
>>  list = no
>> }
>>
>> Now both a and b are exactly the same:
>>
>> ab LIST "" *
>
> You mean it won't list anything, even if I have a mailbox (not a namespace) named foo ?

Right. That's what list=no does with prefix="" namespace (this was actually a recent addition, previously it simply said it's an invalid configuration).

> Anyway, I wasn't thinking about list = no for the default namespace but about
> hidden = yes.  The default in the conf file is list = yes and hidden = no : why
> not list = yes and hidden = yes (because of the "why advertise a namespace
> (hidden = no) which is listable (list=yes) anyway" argument) ?

The point of namespace list was for clients to be able to figure out what the namespaces there are. With list=yes and hidden=yes for your only namespace you wouldn't be listing any namespaces, so clients would think you don't have any personal namespaces at all..