[Dovecot] mobile phone access to dovecot

Jerrale G jerrale at sheltoncomputers.com
Thu Aug 5 15:02:40 EEST 2010

On 8/3/2010 11:36 PM, casanova99 wrote:
> I didn't find anything interesting in the search, so I just wanted to see
> what other people have done (or thought about doing).
>
> I'd like to be able to access my dovecot server via IMAP, from the Internet,
> using the integrated e-mail client from a smart phone.  I'm very concerned
> about security and don't feel comfortable just poking holes into the
> firewall for direct access from the Internet.  Is there a better way to do
> this?
>
> Thanks.

If you're using linux, learn how to secure it. Use Chrooting, iptables,
and permissions for uid/gid putting each user in its own uid
environment. using PAM, there is no need to worry about anything else
other than the firewall (iptables); I would NOT use the NAT of your
router but iptables instead as your NAT unlikely checks for malformed,
spoofed, or invalid packets nor makes sure no new connections exceed a
specified rate to achieve dos/ddos; the router would have to have 16MB
of RAM and most only come with 8.

Dovecot is the MOST secure IMAP/POP3 server